This course is eligible for Comenius funding
Please enquire directly to the school for course dates.
This course offers foreign teachers a unique experience in England, which will equip them to be more effective and motivated teachers on their return.
In particular our aims are:
- To provide teachers with a vast range of new motivating ideas and resources for teaching primary age students.
- To consider how activities can be adapted for different levels.
- To provide the opportunity for teachers to increase their own confidence using English with a particular focus on speaking skills and pronunciation.
- To enable participants to extend their knowledge and experience of British life and culture through lesson content, an extensive social programme, and through living with a British host family.
- To exchange ideas with other primary teachers and develop links with other European schools.
The course covers the latest teaching methodology and introduces motivating and creative practical ideas which the participants will take part in. Following this, teachers discuss their effectiveness and how they could be adapted for students of different levels.
The course may include the following:
- Presenting, practising, and reviewing vocabulary for children
- Communicative grammar for young learners
- Using songs, rhymes and chants in language learning
- Using drama with children
- Pronunciation activities
- Stories in language learning
- Playground games through English
- Authoring software: making your own materials for lessons
- ICT in the primary classroom
- Ideas for introducing British culture to students
- EU citizenship, Comenius projects and E-twinning
Increasing the Teachers’ confidence using English
Increasing one’s own confidence with the language is vitally important for any language teacher in order to become more competent at their job. We have found this aspect of the course to be particularly important for primary teachers who either have not studied very much English or have not used English since school or university and need their language re-activated.
This aspect of the course focuses on:
- Increasing fluency
- Extending vocabulary
- Classroom language
The classes are mixed nationality, and the topics studied are related to cultural aspects.
In addition to this, the course aims to raise the students’ awareness of tools and resources available to enable them to continue developing their skills beyond the course.
Participants are introduced to:
- online resources for teachers: materials, activities and ideas
- British culture websites
- authoring software
- resources for developing their own linguistic skills
During this time, the teachers also develop a project in groups for use with their own students using some of the ideas they have learnt on the course. This could be for example a power point activity, story, board game, vocabulary game or song.
School visit On one morning during term times, there will be an opportunity to visit a state primary school, observe children in lessons, and discover more about life in a English school.
This course is only available for GROUP BOOKINGS.
English for Teachers is also available on Course B; and on AB25 and AB30. Please contact us.
For more information please browse through our Online Teachers Training Brochure